Senior Hardware Engineer
Want to work on technology with a global impact? Join us in connecting the next billion.
Working as a part of the team in London and reporting directly to our CTO, you'll be responsible for development and delivery of hardware and electronics systems inside our BuffaloGrid Hub, and associated hardware products. This includes technical involvement in every aspect of electronics, engineering, testing, compliance, manufacturing and quality assurance.
Dive in to the details and then apply using the button below.
Responsibilities (What You'll Be Doing)
Lead the research and development of present and future hardware products and enhancements, collaborating with internal and external specialists
Create and maintain schematics and PCB layouts with awareness of power systems with discrete components (as well as integrated circuits)
- Guide the senior management team in definition of product budgets, schedules, and specification
- Keep current on emerging tech and industry trends that would be of benefit to BuffaloGrid’s hardware products
- Work with our Industrial Designers to ensure form is sufficient for the enclosed functionality of the product
- Work to prototype and define all system firmware
- Identify and capture the Total Cost of Operation/Ownership (TCO) for each hardware product, including Bill of Material (BoM) costs, running costs, maintenance, and end-of-life decommissioning costs for each hardware product
- Define and execute engineering tests
- Define and oversee manufacturing tests
- Capture and gather key operational requirements and ensure these are fed into future iterations of our hardware
- Identify and track known and potential safety risks BuffaloGrid hardware may pose, and ensure those risks are identified and risk mitigation strategies are developed for those risks
- Manage relationships with contractors and production partners
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
Electronic engineering - you need to be able to steer the electronics direction of our product development
- Embedded coding for IoT devices - C/C++ as well as some higher level languages for test scripts
- Expertise in circuit design with PCB layout tools and simulation software
- Prototyping - proven ability to create fast-turnaround prototypes via pick-and-place and reflow including fine-pitch SMT soldering and rework
- Mastery of automated testing tools and frameworks and lab equipment to design, develop and test hardware solutions and via applicable software (command-line based and GUI applications)
- Ability to design for manufacture
- Managing processes and managing junior staff
- Adaptability to learn new techniques and teach them and to work outside your comfort zone
Knowledge & Experience (What You Need to Have)
- Prior experience working in a hardware startup or small hardware team where you have been involved in taking a product from idea stage, through to medium volume production (10k+) and subsequent field support
- Experience working with Lithium Ion battery management system, solar power (including MPPT systems and SMPS design), GSM and cellular communication
- Existing understanding and experience connecting IoT devices wirelessly, using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE and cellular modems
- Comfortable working in both Unix and Windows environments
- Must be legally authorised to work in the UK
- Experience with version management using Git
- Prior experience working with AWS or Microsoft Azure cloud platforms
- Good working understanding of Agile Development methodology
- Some experience working with DevOps and how it relates to hardware
- Thermal and battery performance testing experience
Benefits (What We Offer)
- Competitive salary
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events
- Your choice of laptop - Windows or Mac.
- Work for a company on a world-changing mission to affect millions of lives
- Tackle complex challenges that have a global impact everyday
- Be part of a collaborative international team culture - open, encouraging and fun
Our Technology Stack
In hardware, our stack includes technologies such as Kicad, Node.js, Armbian (Linux distro), Sopine, ATMega328, 802.11n, Bluetooth and LTE.
In software, our stack includes node.js, Azure, Elastic Search, Postgres, AWS Lambdas, React, HTML5, Bash and Python and we like experimenting with Golang.
Over 1 billion people lack access to reliable power, and yet 700 million have access to a mobile phone. For many, getting their phone charged and connecting to the network is a daily challenge. Without the ability to connect, these phone users will struggle to function in the modern economy.
We want to see everyone connected. We think everyone has the right to be included in our digital world. That’s why at BuffaloGrid, we are working to help the Next Billion get connected and stay connected.
Our team is made up of designers, developers and growth specialists who want to use technology to make a real impact in our user’s lives. They work across hardware, software, operations and growth to provide a reliable service that our customers want and our users love.
We are supported by Local Globe and Kima Ventures, two of Europe’s best venture capital funds. We are also the recipients of grant funding from InnovateUK, EU H2020 and the Microsoft Energy Access Initiative. And we are honoured to have been nominated for the UK Design Museum’s Design of the Year Award 2017, one of the most prestigious awards in design.